Wednesday, October 10, 2012

'Baba' - Esther Jensen - My Grandmother

My parents agreed to raise me catholic, at least that's what they told the priest. Late, my older brother Dennis and I were put into public school, instead of the Catholic school, that oldest brother Mike attended. Along with the change in education experiences, came indoctrination into the teachings of the Lutheran Church, which was likely encouraged by my mothers mother; Esther.

Esther came West during the depression with 3 girls, and an alcoholic husband, whom she later divorced.

As the matriarch of the family, her three daughters, Pearl, Adeline, and Betty, all married and produced eleven children. The oldest, Linda, Pearl's first born passing from SID's just weeks after birth, to the youngest son of Betty's, Christoper, who faced development problems.

Nineteen years ago today, I was with my loving grandmother, Baba, when she met eternity. I smiled inwardly as the nurses came to her bed, knowing that she lived a remarkable life, the held true to the tenets of the church.

Moreover, she taught by example about love, the bible, living a fulfilled life.

Her energy, manifested by the lessons and feelings she imparted, are alive and well and can be seen in the eyes and laughing smiles of her progeny.


No comments:

Post a Comment